How to Make an Authentic Greek Salad
After visiting Greece, all my previous knowledge of Greek food has been totally shifted.
I ordered a Greek salad in Santorini (one of the Greek islands) expecting something similar to Daphne’s Greek restaurant in the United States.
It came out as almost a chunky salsa with thick-cut pieces of veggies. I was mind blown that this was what actual Greek salad was.
What are the ingredients of the Greek salad?
You may be surprised because there’s no lettuce, kale, spinach, or anything leafy. A traditional Greek salad consists of a blend of sliced cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and dressing.
It was interesting to eat it initially because it was so chunky. But after a few bites with some tzatziki and bread to sop up the dressing, I began to love the flavor and how refreshing it was on a hot summer Grecian day.
How to Make an Authentic Greek Salad Recipe
We had to recreate this at home so that we can have it anytime! Follow our step-by-step instructions below to create this in your home kitchen. It should serve 2-3 persons and is a great summertime dish.
- 1 cucumber, not peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 3 Roma tomatoes (thick-cut into wedges)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in half-rounds
- 1 red or green bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 cup of feta cheese, cubed into 1/2 inch squares OR you can leave the square of feta whole and place it on top of the salad and slowly chip away at the block with each bite. This is how authentic Greek salad is served in most Greek restaurants.
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
Ingredients for the Dressing
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar (can omit and use lemon juice instead if you do not prefer vinegar)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place all the veggies in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a fork. The blend should appear yellow with oregano floating to the top.
- Add the dressing to the bowl of veggies and use a wooden spoon to mix everything.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with cubes of feta cheese and serve with your favorite pita or loaf bread.
We hope you enjoyed our Authentic Greek salad recipe. Tag us at #goodhomechef so that we can follow along on social media.
Before you go, we want to recommend 2 recipes for our veggie lovers out there: how to make a berry compote and vegetable frittata recipe. Let us know what you think!
If you enjoyed it, please share it on Pinterest. Thanks for your support!