I made fluffy Belgian waffles and wanted a berry compote to complement them. So, I thought this was the best moment to show you how to make berry compote (vegan).
Compote typically has butter in it but I was out of butter and didn’t have time to get to the grocery store. I also wanted something low-calorie, so omitted sugar from this recipe.
Once you have compote, you can pretty much add it on top of anything. We like adding it to beignets, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, and even ice cream.
You’ll enjoy the light and refreshing taste of our vegan compote.
Here are the things you’ll need to create our delicious vegan berry compote.
- 3 cups of mixed berries (we used cherries and strawberries in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice (we used 2 navel and one cara cara oranges)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
Vegan Berry Compote Instructions
- Pit the cherries and chop all the fruit roughly.
- Fresh squeeze the oranges in a juicer.
- Place fruit and juice in a small saucepan and bring to medium heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce heat to low and use a wooden spoon to mash up the fruit.
- Stir in the cinnamon and ginger.
- Continue cooking over medium to low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mason jar to cool thoroughly.
- You can store your compote in the fridge for up to 1 week. We also love freezing them into ice cubes to make fruit water or reheated for other baked, fried, or griddled goods.